San Antón Church, Bilbao (Spain)

Below article presents the history of San Antón Chruch, Bilbao, Basque Country, Spain, during a visit in August 2017.

Image above: San Antón Church, Bilbao, August 2017 (G.dijkman)

This article does not concern Roman history, the archaeological excavations give a general picture of how the present church was built. Below information is based on texts found at the church's displays in Spanish, translated by G. Dijkman into English. This article can therefore be used as an English guide to its history. The Spanish text follows below.

Image above: Before the town (XII-XIII AD)

Archaeological research into San Antón

This church is more than 500 years old, although its location is witness to older history. The archaeological excavations carried out in its interior have enabled us to reconstruct the origins of Bilbao.

Image above: Birth of the town of Bilboa (XIV century AD)

Before the town (XII-XIII Centuries AD)

On the basis of San Antón remains of the oldest buildings of Bilbao were found, constructed on an outcropping amidst the wetlands of the ría. Between 1100 and 1200, several constructions were erected in the place where the road of Castile crossed the ría, joined with a natural harbour where boats could anchor.

Birth of the town of Bilbao (XIV century AD)

When in 1300 don Diego López de Haro granted the status of ‘Puebla’ to the inhabitants of the Nervión riverbank, seven streets were put down surrounded by a rough stonewall, destroying the previous construction, and reaching the river. Thus, it protected the harbour of the new town and defined its urban area.

In the presbytery of the church, behind the altar, the excavations exposed very well conserved remains of the wall, with foundations of nearly three meters deep. This indicates that the wall was not merely built to defend the urban nucleus against the lords of the plains, but also to defend itself against the floods. In this part of the historical town centre of Bilbao, however, the wall was soon demolished to construct on its basis the Church of San Antón.

Image above: The first church of San Antón (XV century AD)

The first Church of San Antón (XV century AD)

The primitive church consisted of one nave, rectangular floor and a vaulted roof. In the excavations, the polygonal head foundations, constructed of rectangular sandstone ashlar can be seen.

The temple was only used for a very short period during 50 years of the mid XV century, until it was too small to give shelter to a growing population. This, combined with the problems of stability caused by its location on a point of a rock, natural clay and the remains of the old wall, gave reason for its reconstruction in 1478.

The second Church of San Antón (1478)

In 1478, the present gothic temple was erected, with three stepped naves. The central nave has a triforium, or elevated and open gallery.

During the second third of the XVI century, three chapels were added, belonging to three provosts of the town, and in 1544 the renaissance portal was built.

From its origins until the XIX century, the interior of the church was used as a cemetery. In 1726, an important reorganisation was carried out of the funeral space, and graves of distinct families were assigned to the parish. The coverings of the tombs, which formed the floor of the church, have been reproduced after the restoration.

Source

  • texts found in the church during a visit in August 2017, translated into English by G. Dijkman; images photographed of the displays in the church.

Spanish text

Investigación Arqueológica en San Antón

Esta Iglesia tiene más de 500 años, aunque el lugar guarda la memoria de tiempos más lejanos. Las excavaciones arqueológicas realizadas en su interior nos han permitido reconstruir los origines de Bilbao.

Antes de la villa. (Siglos XII y XIII)

A los pies de San Antón se han encontrado restos de los edificios más antiguos de Bilbao, construidos sobre una peña que destacaba entre los humedales de la ría. Entre 1100 y 1200 se sucederán varias construcciones en este punto por donde el camino de Castilla atravesaba la ría, junto a un puerto natural en la que las naves podían fondear.

Nace la Villa de Bilbao (Siglo XIV)

Cuando en 1300 don Diego López de Haro otorgó la carta Puebla a los pobladores de la ribera del Nervión, se trazaron siete calles rodeadas por una muralla de mampuesto que, arrasando las construcciones anteriores, llegaba hasta el rio protegiendo así el puerto de la nueva villa y definiendo su recinto urbano.

En el presbiterio de la iglesia, tras el altar, las excavaciones descubrieron restos muy bien conservados de la muralla, con cimientos de casi tres metros de profundidad que indican que fue diseñada no sólo para defender el núcleo urbano de los señores de la tierra llana, sino también para protegerse de las inundaciones. Pero en esta zona del casco histórico de Bilbao la muralla fue pronto demolida para construir sobre ella la iglesia de San Antón.

La Primera Iglesia de San Antón (Siglo XV)

La primitiva iglesia era de sola nave, planta rectangular y cubierta abovedada. En las excavaciones se pueden ver los cimientos de la cabecera de forma poligonal y construida con sillares rectangulares de piedra arenisca.

El templo estuvo en funcionamiento muy poco tiempo, apenas los 50 años centrales del siglo XV, hasta que se quedó pequeño para dar cobijo a una población en continuo crecimiento. Esto, unido a los problemas de estabilidad creados por estar construido entre la roca, arcillas naturales y los restos de la antigua muralla, hicieron necesario que en 1478 se proyectará su reconstrucción.

La segunda Iglesia de San Antón (1478)

En 1478 se edificó el templo actual de estilo gótico, con tres naves escalonadas. La central muestra un triforio o galería elevada y abierta.

En el segundo tercio del siglo XVI se le añadieron tres capillas pertenecientes a otros tantos prebostes de la villa y en 1544 se plantea la portada renacentista.

Desde sus orígenes y hasta el siglo XIX, el interior de la iglesia fue utilizado como cementerio. En 1726 se planificó una importante reorganización del área funeraria, ordenando las sepulturas de las distintas familias adscritas a la parroquia. Las cubiertas de las tumbas, que formaban el suelo de la iglesia, se han reproducido tras la restauración.

social linkedin box white 24social facebook box white 24text: Godi Dijkman | research: www.nusapenida.nl